Baked potato wedges

Baked potato wedges

Crispy Sweet Potato Wedges with Garlic Avocado Aioli

It’s been a long mission of mine to make crispy, crunchy wedges. Wedges with a crunch when biting into them, and pillows of soft sweetness in the centre.
Paired with an incredibly creamy Avocado Garlic Aioli; move over potato wedges! These are insane!
I’m not going to lie. I may have broken out in a dance taking these out of the oven. After three tries of smushy wedges, I finally got the crunch I was after!
Those Mexican Beef Wedges have been all over my craving list. Only I had a couple of sweet potatoes here needing some love and attention.
So, after researching and reading an endless amount of websites, comments and feedback; and after 3 failed attempts and mushy sweet potatoes, I finally, finally got it!
At first, following these steps may seem kind of complicated, but believe me when I say the whole process was easier than expected. If I can do it, anyone can. Trust me.
The secret weapon is soaking them in water for over an hour. I know, I know…sometimes you don’t want to soak anything for a whole hour and just get on with it. Right? But. Let me tell you…it’s worth the crunch. Soaking them draws out excess starch from the sweet potatoes and guarantees the crispy outside and soft on the inside results without burning them.
Next is coating them in cornflour (or corn starch).
The corn flour helps to absorb the natural moisture that occurs during the baking process of the humble sweet potato. I don’t know how, but it works with a satisfying crunch. Plus, seasoning them with dried herbs instead of fresh herbs helps prevent extra moisture being baked into them. And no salt pre-baking! Salt them after you’ve baked them. Not before… trust me.
Bake them on preheated baking trays that have been sitting in your preheated oven (this step is optional, but it’s what worked for me, so I’m recommending it); and line them with baking (parchment) paper. No sticking and no mess issues. Good non-stick baking trays work too. But I love baking paper! It’s a guarantee they won’t stick!
Spray your wedges with Canola oil (or coconut oil) to crisp them perfectly; and space them out on your baking tray making sure they’re not touching, even if you need 2 trays to prevent them from steaming and turning to smush.
Just look at the crispiness. Repeat after me: it’s worth it. Love at first bite.
While they’re oven ‘frying,’ whip up your Avocado Aioli in your magic bullet blender or a small food processor. 20 seconds later, the most creamiest dip is ready for your dipping pleasure. Because Avocado and Sweet Potatoes go together in the perfect pairing.
Season your new found crunchier wedges with sea salt and extra herbs…spray them with a little extra canola oil, and be proud of your new found wedges that taste deep fried but really aren’t. Get ready…they will disappear.

Comments